As part of our commitment to innovation and growth, we have delved into product development through our sister company, Overland Tourers Australia. To bring our product visions to life and expand our capabilities, our Product Designer, Will Grainger, and Mick attended the renowned Australian Manufacturing Week in Melbourne. This experience has provided us with valuable insights and inspired us to integrate new technologies such as 3D Scanning & printing into our workshop here in Toowoomba.
The Australian Manufacturing Week Expo:We recently had the opportunity to attend the Australian Manufacturing Week in Melbourne, Australia's premier manufacturing solutions event. This expo showcased various aspects of manufacturing, including additive manufacturing, metalworks, advanced engineering, robotics, and automation. Our key takeaways from the event were:
- Rapid Growth of 3D Printing: 3D printing is experiencing rapid growth and is already widely used in the automotive industry. Its capabilities continue to improve and it has become an integral part of the product design and manufacturing process.
- Endless Opportunities: 3D printing offers immense potential for creating new and innovative products. It enables us to produce high-quality items more affordably and in a shorter time frame.
- Faster Prototyping: With 3D printing, we can prototype twice as fast and at a fraction of the cost compared to traditional manufacturing methods. This accelerates our research and development efforts and reduces time to market.
- Enhanced Accuracy and Efficiency: By utilizing 3D printing, we can achieve higher accuracy and eliminate human errors in certain manufacturing processes.
Harnessing the Power of 3D Printing:To leverage the benefits of 3D printing, we have acquired the Bambu Lab X1-Carbon, an FDM 3D printer. This printer allows us to rapidly materialize ideas, concepts, designs, and iterations in prototype form, eliminating the need for expensive and time-consuming outsourcing. Our goal is to streamline our R&D process and significantly shorten the time it takes to bring our future products to market. Additionally, we are exploring the purchase of a more advanced printer capable of working with composite base and continuous composite materials such as Fiberglass, Carbon fiber, Kevlar, and Teflon. This expansion will enable us to explore new product opportunities and potentially produce end-use items directly from the printer.
- Beyond Design: The applications of 3D printing extend beyond product design. It enables us to fabricate JIGs for assembly and quality control, ensuring our products meet the highest standards before reaching our customers.
- Creating Diverse Products: By leveraging the right materials and machines, we can manufacture a wide range of items including bracketry, switching panels, interior accessories, personalized products, consoles, spare parts, and more. However, it is crucial to conduct thorough R&D and testing to fully explore the capabilities of these machines before releasing any finalized products.
Introducing 3D Scanning:
In addition to 3D printing, we have recently acquired an Artec Leo 3D Scanner and Artec Studio. The wireless and fully standalone Artec Leo scanner allows us to capture highly accurate 3D data and measurements in-house. Paired with Geomagic DesignX, an advanced reverse engineering tool, it will significantly aid in the development of new products for Overland Tourers Australia. In the near future, we plan to offer 3D scanning and data capture services to local companies across various industries, supporting their business growth and capabilities.
The integration of 3D printing and scanning technologies represents a significant leap forward in our R&D and manufacturing capabilities. By harnessing the power of these technologies, we accelerate innovation, reduce costs, and unlock new possibilities for product development. As we continue to explore and leverage these advancements, we are excited about the future and the opportunities they hold for our company and our customers.
Be sure to keep up to date with everything by following our socials:
Overland Tourers Australia
Mick Tighe 4x4 & Outdoor
Our other socials
OTA Troopy (Our Troop Carrier): https://www.instagram.com/ota_troopy/